Defective Hip Implants Recalls
Defective Medical Devices Attorneys Representing Victims of Hip Replacement Recalls Due to Serious Side Effects
Have you or a loved one received a hip replacement? Has that hip replacement caused you pain and complications?
If you or a loved one had a hip replaced with metal-on-metal, ceramic-on-metal, metal-on-plastic or ceramic-on-ceramic, and are experiencing discomfort, pain, loosening, metallosis or had revision surgery, you may qualify for financial compensation. The components made by Biomet, DePuy, Smith & Nephew, Stryker, Wright and Zimmer were supposed to help improve patient mobility. Unfortunately, the components are deficient, causing patients to suffer severe pain, missed work, medical bills, and painful revision surgeries.
Hip Replacement Lawsuits Claim that Manufacturers:
- Did not warn of the risks that prosthetic hips can pose
- Did not properly test the hip implants before making them available for sale
- Marketed the devices improperly, claiming they were safe, durable, and effective
Side Effects and Symptoms
Those with replacement hip implants should be on the lookout for any signs of a defective or failing device. According to the FDA, the following symptoms may indicate that a hip implant is not functioning properly:
- Swelling at or near the hip joint
- Hip, leg or groin pain
- A limp or change in mobility
- Popping, grinding, clicking or squeaking sounds from the hip joint
In addition, patients should monitor for symptoms of metal poisoning. According to the FDA, the signs of metal toxicity include:
- Skin rashes
- Impaired kidney function
- Hearing or vision impairments
- Depression, cognitive impairment or other psychological issues
- Cardiomyopathy, a condition that weakens and enlarges the heart muscle
- Thyroid problems, including weight gain, neck discomfort, fatigue and feeling cold
Medical device makers like Biomet, DePuy, Smith & Nephew, Stryker, Wright and Zimmer have a duty to conduct their affairs in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations, and in accordance with the highest ethical standards, as well as to advise the public about any risks associated with their medical devices. These companies have recalled a number of their products already. Unfortunately, it may have been too late for a number of victims who received faulty implants without any forewarning of the potentially fatal side effects.
A qualified lawyer can protect your rights, help you deduce if you have a claim, and file a claim for compensation. Contact The Law Offices of Salter Ferguson today for your free case evaluation.
Defective Hip Implant Issues
According to drugwatch.com, total hip replacement devices have increased in demand over the past twenty years. But certain types of hip replacements may be more liable to failure and recall. For instance, several joint manufacturers recalled their metal hip implants, but the recalls often come too late for tens of thousands of people who have already received these problematic devices.
Major hip replacement recalls occurred for these popular implant products:
- Stryker Rejuvenate and ABG II Hip Recall
- DePuy ASR Acetabular & Resurfacing System
- Wright Conserve Plus and Profemur Z Hip Stem
- Zimmer Durom Acetabular Component
- Smith & Nephew R3 Acetabular, Modular SMF, Modular Redapt Femoral Hip Systems
What Can the Attorneys at Salter Ferguson Do to Help You?
For people who have undergone the difficult process of a hip replacement to improve their mobility and quality of life, it could be truly devastating to discover that their new hip implant is defective and is causing severe complications. If you or a loved one has a hip implant, contact The Law Offices of Salter Ferguson today for a free consultation — even if you are unsure which type of hip implant that you may have received in the past, you may be able to hold the manufacturer accountable and collect compensation for medical expenses, pain and suffering, lost wages and other damages.