If you or someone you love was seriously injured in an Alabama car accident, financial compensation is certainly on your mind. You might wonder, “How much money is my car accident case worth in Alabama?”
Unfortunately, there isn’t a simple answer. This fact may frustrate many injured people who’ve paid for costly medical bills, suffered lost wages, and endured serious injuries after a car accident.
Factors that Influence a Car Accident Case’s Worth in Alabam
The reality is that multiple factors influence a car accident legal claim’s value. Quite often, determination of the financial settlement depends on the victim’s quantification of the damages he or she suffered as a result of the car accident.
The following factors affect the value of a car accident case:
- Medical bills. Medical care is often extremely expensive. After a serious car accident, the victim may bear hospitalization, prescription medications, medication equipment, and treatment costs. The expenses related to the accident add up quickly. A car accident settlement should address the full costs of medical bills to date. Importantly, though, not all injuries are apparent immediately after the accident. The victim’s condition may worsen or evolve. For that reason, it’s important for the plaintiff’s medical providers to completely document his or her medical condition and prognosis.
- Missed work. A serious car accident that results in injury can affect your ability to earn a living in several ways: 1) You may be physically or mentally unable to perform your job after the accident. You need time to recover. Damages in a car accident settlement may include lost income (wages) and time off from work. This factor is especially relevant if serious injuries prevent you from continuing in your profession.
- Pain and suffering. This factor includes both physical and mental damages sustained after a serious car accident. The manner in which you communicate how these injuries have affected your life may affect your potential financial settlement.
- Quality of life. After a serious car accident, a victim dealing with severe injuries has a reduced quality of life. Injuries may prevent you from doing the things you like or enjoy. For instance, if you sustained serious leg injuries, it may be difficult or impossible to continue favorite hobbies like biking, hiking, or camping.
- Property damage. Damage to your vehicle in a serious accident is also part of the financial settlement. It’s important to fully and precisely document property damage. Failure to do so can lessen the claim’s value.
Experienced Birmingham Car Accident Lawyer
After a serious car accident, you need a knowledgeable, experienced personal injury attorney on your side. Our lawyers will help you navigate the next steps in your case. The attorneys at Salter Ferguson, LLC have a successful track record of helping our clients seek justice.
If you’ve suffered a car accident or other serious injury as a result of someone else’s negligence, we are here to fight for you. Call 877-653-9655 or fill out our online contact form to discuss your potential case now.
The articles on this blog are for informative purposes only and are no substitute for legal advice or an attorney/client relationship. If you are seeking legal advice, please contact our law firm directly.