Birmingham Truck Accident Lawyer
Experienced Attorneys Representing Truck Accident Victims Throughout Birmingham
At Salter Ferguson, LLC, our we take truck accident cases personally. Our Birmingham truck wreck lawyers help people injured in truck accidents recover financial compensation for the losses they have suffered due to carelessness, recklessness or negligence. We have won significant verdicts and settlements in truck accident cases for our clients. To trucking firms and their insurance companies, truck accidents and the resulting injuries and fatalities are just part of doing business. To those injured or who lost a loved one in a truck accident, the damage is personal and painful.
Truck Accident Resources:
- How do I recover compensation after a truck accident?
- Who is at fault for a truck wreck?
- Alabama Truck Accident Statistics
- Common Causes of Truck Accidents in Birmingham
- Common Injuries After Truck Accidents
- Schedule a FREE consultation with our Birmingham truck accident lawyers
Our Birmingham truck accident attorneys represent people injured in accidents involving all types of commercial trucks, including:
- Semi trucks
- Moving vans
- Delivery trucks, from UPS and FedEx to the local florist’s delivery van
- Dump trucks, cement mixers and other heavy duty trucks
If you were injured in a truck accident or if a member of your family died in a truck wreck, please contact our personal injury law firm today. Attorneys Karen Salter and Carmen Ferguson offer a free initial consultation to review your case, answer your questions and advise you of your legal rights and options.
Recovering Compensation After a Truck Accident in Birmingham
Any type of car accident is devastating, but collisions with commercial trucks have a greater risk for more severe and catastrophic damages. When you’re going through the difficulty of a truck accident, seeking compensation can be one of the first steps to getting your life back on track – and having one of the skilled truck accident attorneys of Salter Ferguson, LLC on your side makes that much more likely.
Aside from being more dangerous, commercial truck accidents can also be more complicated than a passenger car collision. Between the larger pool of potential liable parties, the greater amount of financial resources commercial trucks have to back them up, and federal regulations these types of vehicles must follow, winning in a truck accident lawsuit may seem like an impossible task.
However, you do have a right to compensation for any physical, emotional, financial, and property damages you may have suffered during the accident. Our lawyers have the knowledge and experience to help you evaluate your case, conduct the necessary investigations, file your claim, negotiate settlement offers, and fight for your rightful compensation in court if necessary.
Who Is at Fault for Your Birmingham, AL Truck Accident?
We work to identify all potential sources of financial compensation. The driver, the trucking company, the owner of the truck, the owner of the trailer, the leasing company, the shop that maintained the truck, the company that loaded the trailer, and the companies that manufactured the truck and its component parts could all potentially be responsible. Trucking companies and their insurance companies have a nationwide network of associates who can get to the scene of a truck accident quickly to gather evidence. They will interview witnesses, take photos, collect log books and inspect the truck. They are skilled at gathering evidence in a manner that will reflect positively on the trucking company. In addition, we perform our own investigation along with our team of trucking accident experts. As YOUR team, we go head to head with the trucking company ensuring that all of the critical evidence in the case is preserved and protected for your case.
About Truck Accidents on Alabama Roads & Highways
In Alabama, 84 people died in accidents involving large trucks in 2014, according to the National Highway Safety Administration. Many more suffered serious injuries. Trucking accident cases are more complicated than an average car accident case. Multiple parties are involved. Trucking is a federally regulated industry. It must be determined if the vehicle and the driver were in compliance with all applicable regulations. Was the driver filling out the logbook properly? Was he or she driving too many hours without a rest? Was the truck equipped with required safety features, from lights to underride guards? Was the driver impaired by drugs or alcohol? Was the driver properly licensed?
Jefferson County Truck Accident Fatalities (2013-2017)
A closer look at the most recent data released by the NHTSA shows truck accident fatalities hit a 5 year high for truck accident fatalities in Jefferson County. 2016 had the most fatalities for light truck accidents and 2015 saw the most fatalities for large truck wrecks in Jefferson County.
How Truck Accidents Happen in Birmingham
We will investigate to determine what happened in the accident that injured you. We may retain an accident reconstruction expert who specializes in truck accidents. Common causes of truck accidents include:
- Reckless or careless driving
- Distracted driving
- Drunk driving
- Driving under the influence of drugs
- Driver fatigue
- Driver inexperience
- Improper loading or overloading
- Lack of required safety equipment
- Bad brakes or tires
- Improper truck maintenance
Common Causes of Truck Accidents
Commercial trucks are much more difficult to drive and maneuver than regular passenger vehicles, due to their larger size. Because of this, driving behaviors that may be safer for a passenger vehicle may bring greater risk for an accident if conducted in a truck. Truck accidents can, therefore, be the result of many different factors, such as:
- The truck driver driving recklessly and not taking size of the vehicle into consideration
- The truck driver being under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- The truck having defective parts
- The truck not going through proper maintenance
- The driver engaging in distracted driving
- Improper driver training
- Loading crew not properly loading or securing cargo onto truck
- Inclement weather conditions
- Fatigue, due to long hours on the road
Most types of truck accidents are preventable, either through more attentive driving, proper loading procedures, or completed training programs for drivers, which makes their instances even more unfortunate. Regardless of the cause, negligent behavior from trucking companies and driver can make them liable to pay compensation for an accident. Our attorneys can help determine fault in your truck accident case and help you receive proper compensation.
Injuries From Truck Accidents
Often, those in passenger vehicles come out of truck accidents much worse than the truck drivers do. Common injuries from truck accidents include:
- Back and neck. When spinal discs suffer damage, they can lead to decreased mobility, pain throughout the body, and even paralysis.
- Traumatic brain injuries. TBIs can occur when the head collides with other objects. Even the most minor of TBIs can have long lasting consequences if not treated quickly. More serious TBIs can lead to death.
- Lacerations and bruises. While the design of car glass can help prevent debris from entering a vehicle when in a passenger vehicle collision, an impact with a truck can cause serious bruises and deep cuts from broken vehicle parts.
- Broken bones and damaged limbs. High-force impacts also have a high chance of causing fractured and broken bones. Some damages may be so severe that they require amputation of limbs.
- If gas tanks ruptures in an accident, there is a chance of burns across the body. When the accident involves a truck carrying hazardous materials or oil, fire and chemicals can cause burns as well as produce dangerous fumes for anyone in the area.
- For the most severe accidents, death can result from either the impact of the accident or shock from the resulting injuries.
Because of the potential severity of these injuries, many victims in car crashes may not fully recover. When this happens, you have a right to compensation not only for your previous medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering, but any potential future damages as well. If the incident lead to a fatality, a wrongful death suit is a possibility. At Salter Ferguson, LLC, we work so that you receive your rightful compensation for all damages.
Schedule a Free Consultation with an Experienced Birmingham Truck Accident Attorney
It is critical to contact an attorney as soon as possible after a trucking incident in which victims have been injured or killed. we can then begin to build a case for maximum compensation. To arrange a free initial consultation with a member of our legal team, contact our Birmingham truck accident attorneys online to speak with a dedicated member of our team.
We offer a flexible appointment schedule to accommodate your medical appointments and your employment commitments. We will also schedule home or hospital visits when you are unable to travel to our office. From our office in Birmingham, we represent people injured in truck accidents throughout central Alabama.
“Karen’s handling of my case was both professional and caring. I appreciate how quickly my case was settled. I felt that Karen made my case her first priority even though I’m sure she had many other clients for whom she was working just as hard at the same time.-Lynn Reeves”
Karen’s handling of my case was both professional and caring. I appreciate how quickly my case was settled. I felt that Karen made my case her first priority even though I’m sure she had many other clients for whom she was working just as hard at the same time. -Lynn Reeves